Success is a multifaceted concept, encompassing various aspects of life such as exams, business, work, and overall well-being.
In Islam, true success is deeply intertwined with happiness in the Hereafter. The Quran and Hadith provide guidance on supplications (duas) that believers can recite to seek success in both this world and the next.
This article aims to compile and explain 10-15 authentic and proven duas for success, with references from Quranic verses and Hadith.
1. Dua for Attaining Good Character:
- Arabic: اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ مُنْكَرَاتِ الأَخْلاَق
- English: “Allahumma inni a’uzu-bika min munkaratil-akhlaq.”
- Translation: “O Allah! I seek refuge in You from undesirable manners, deeds, and aspirations.”
- Reference: Sunan At-Tirmizi
Ziyad bin ‘Ilaqah reported:
My uncle Qutbah bin Malik (May Allah be pleased with him) said that the Prophet (ﷺ) used to supplicate: “Allahumma inni a’udhu bika min munkaratil-akhlaqi, wal-a’mali, wal- ahwa’i (O Allah! I seek refuge in You from undesirable manners, deeds, and aspirations).”
This dua emphasizes the importance of good character, as Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) stated, “There is nothing which will be put on the believer’s scale (on the Day of Resurrection) that is heavier than good morals.” (Sunan At-Tirmizi)
2. Dua for Seeking Patience:
- Arabic: رَبَّنَا أَفْرِغْ عَلَيْناَ صَبْراً وَتَوَفَّنَا مُسْلِمِينَ
- English: “Rabbana afrigh ‘alaina sabran wa tawaffana Muslimin.”
- Translation: “Our Lord! Pour out on us patience, and allow us to die as Muslims.”
- Reference: Surah Al-A’raf, 7:126
Patience is highlighted in the Quran as essential for success: “O believers! Patiently endure, persevere, stand on guard, and be mindful of Allah, so you may be successful.” (Surah Ali-‘Imran, 3:200)
3. Dua for Triumph Against Adversity:
- Arabic: يَا حَيُّ يَا قَيُّومُ بِرَحْمَتِكَ أَسْتَغِيثُ أَصْلِحْ لِي شَأْنِي كُلَّهُ وَلَا تَكِلْنِي إِلَى نَفْسِي طَرْفَةَ عَيْنٍ
- Translation: “O Ever-Living, O Sustainer, by Your mercy, I seek help. Rectify all my affairs for me, and do not leave me to myself even for the blink of an eye
This supplication is specifically recommended during extreme pain or trouble.
4. Dua for Success in Interview and Presentation
- Arabic: رَبِّ اشْرَحْ لِي صَدْرِي وَيَسِّرْ لِي أَمْرِي وَاحْلُلْ عُقْدَةً مِّن لِّسَانِي يَفْقَهُوا قَوْلِي Transliteration: Rabbi-ishrah li sadri wayassir li amri Wahlul uqdatan min lisanee yafqahu qawli Translation: “O my Lord, expand for me my chest and ease for me my task, and untie the knot from my tongue that they may understand my speech.” This supplication is found in the Quran, specifically in Surah Taha (20:25-28), where Prophet Musa (Moses) makes a similar request to Allah. The wording of the supplication might slightly vary, but the essence remains the same.
5. Dua for Success in Business
- Arabic: اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ عِلْمًا نَافِعًا، وَرِزْقًا طَيِّبًا، وَعَمَلاً مُتَقَبَّلاً
- English : Allahumma inni as’aluka ‘ilman nafi’an wa rizqan tayyiban wa ‘amalan mutaqabbalan
- Translation: O Allah, I ask You for beneficial knowledge, good provision, and accepted deeds.”
- Reference: Sunan Ibn Majah 925
It was narrated from Umm Salamah that when the Prophet (ﷺ) performed the Subh (morning prayer), while he said the Salam, he would say:
‘Allahumma inni as’aluka ‘ilman nafi’an, wa rizqan tayyiban, wa ‘amalan mutaqabbalan (O Allah, I ask You for beneficial knowledge, goodly provision and acceptable deeds).’
|Reference||: Sunan Ibn Majah 925|
|In-book reference||: Book 5, Hadith 123|
|English translation||: Vol. 1, Book 5, Hadith 92|
6. Dua for a Good Family and Successful Marriage:
- Arqabic: رَبَّنَا هَبْ لَنَا مِنْ أَزْوَاجِنَا وَذُرِّيَّاتِنَا قُرَّةَ أَعْيُنٍ وَاجْعَلْنَا لِلْمُتَّقِينَ إِمَامًا
- English: Rabbana hablana min azwajina wathurriyyatina qurrata a’yunin waj’alna lil-muttaqeena imama
- Translation: “Our Lord! Bless us with ˹pious˺ spouses and offspring who will be the joy of our hearts, and make us models for the righteous.
- Reference: Surah Al Furqan, 25:74
Success in family life is sought through righteous spouses and offspring.
7. Dua for Children’s Success:
- Arabic: رَبِّي هَبْ لِي مِنَ الصَّالِحِنَ
- English: “Rabbi habli minas-solihin.”
- Translation: “My Lord, grant me a child from among the righteous.”
- Reference: Surah As-Saffat, 37:100
This dua seeks pious and successful offspring, as they are considered a continuous reward.
8. Dua for Knowledge and Success in the Final Abode
- Arabic: رَبِّ هَبْ لِى حُكْمًۭا وَأَلْحِقْنِى بِٱلصَّـٰلِحِينَ
- Translation: My Lord! Grant me wisdom, and join me with the righteous.
- Reference: Surah Ash-Shu’ara :83-85
Prophet Ibrahim’s AS dua emphasizes seeking beneficial knowledge for success in the Hereafter.
9. Dua for Ease and Success in Life:
- Arabic: اللهُمَّ لاَ سَهْلَ إِلَا مَا جَعَلْتَهَ سَهْلاً وَأَنْتَ تَجْعَلُ الْحَزْنَ إِذَا شِئْتَ سَهْلاً
- English: Allahumma la sahla illa ma ja’altahu sahla, wa anta taj’alul hazna idha shi’ta sahla
- Translation: O Allah, there is no ease except in what You have made easy. If You wish, You can make the difficult easy.
- Reference: Sahih Ibn Hibban
Reference:Ibn Hibban in his Sahih (no. 2427), and Ibn As- Sunni (no. 351). Al-Hafidh (Ibn Hajar) said that this Hadith is authentic. It was also declared authentic by ‘Abdul-Qadir Al-Arna’ut in his checking of An-Nawawi’s Kitabul-Athkarp. 106.
This dua acknowledges that ease is granted by Allah.
10: Dua for Success and Victory in Life:
- Arabic: اللهُمَّ اجْعَلْنَا مُفْلِحِينَ
- English: “Allahumma-ja’alna muflihin.”
- Translation: “O Allah, make us among the successful people.”
- Reference: Not specified
Seeking success and victory in all aspects of life.
11. Dua for Mercy, Forgiveness, and Success in the Hereafter:
- Arabic: اللهم إني أسألك موجبات رحمتك، وعزائم مغفرتك، والسلامة من كل إثم، والغنيمة من كل بر، والفوز بالجنة، والنجاة من النار.
- English: Allahumma inni as’aluka mujibat rahmatika wa ‘azaimi maghfiratika wal-ghanimata min kulli birrin was-salamata min kulli ithm
- Translation: O Allah, I ask You for the means to attain Your mercy, the determination to achieve Your forgiveness, the benefit from every good deed, and safety from every sin.
- Reference: Mustadrak Al-Hakim
|Reference||: Riyad as-Salihin 1493|
|In-book reference||: Book 16, Hadith 29|
A Dua For Seeking mercy, forgiveness, and success in the Hereafter.
12 Dua for Success in This World and the Hereafter:
- Arabic: رَبَّنَا آتِنَا فِي الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَفِي الْآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ
- English: Rabbana atina fi al-dunya hasanatan wa fi al-akhirati hasanatan wa qina ‘adhaba al-nar
- Translation: Our Lord, give us in this world [that which is] good and in the Hereafter [that which is] good and protect us from the punishment of the Fire
- Reference: Surah Al-Baqarah: 201
A comprehensive dua seeking goodness in both this world and the Hereafter.
Success in Islam is not confined to material gains but extends to achieving happiness and prosperity in the Hereafter.
The compilation of these authentic duas provides a comprehensive guide for believers seeking success in various aspects of life.
These supplications, grounded in Quranic verses and Hadith, serve as a spiritual toolkit for navigating life’s challenges and attaining success in the eyes of Allah.